Monday, September 14, 2009

With kudos to Perspective-Depth and Distance by Geoff Kersey I painted this today as an exercise from his book. Although the colors don't exactly duplicate the original painting this is a fair approximation and you can see this painting is also in pretty loose form. This is the largest painting I've done so far 16" x 20" and took approximately two hours to complete, so I'm definitely getting faster and a by-product of that is a much more fluid painting.

This painting has a number of perspective elements that give it depth. You'll notice first the road going off in the distance and then looking up the small houses sitting out in the field. Much further back is a range of mountains which I painted too dark. They should recede into the distance getting lighter as the go back but you can see that tonally the are similar. The other element I missed was the small lake in the background that is too dark also. Notice it looks much more like a cloud reflected on the landscape instead of a lake.

The sky's are getting better. I used a small kleenex to dab the clouds out of the wet paint and I think these look more realistic than some of my earlier attempts.

I haven't painted much in three days so here you have my best attempt at a lovely English Landscape.

4 comments:

Tess said...

I love the clouds!

Carol said...

Every day I say "I like that one best!" I know I'm not a critic, but I do love your work Andy.

carol

emilycarrsdog said...

Love the perspective...foreground to background...the strong elements on either side of the road ground the image and allow the viewer to float into the landscape...

Unknown said...

I think its time to do one of your own subject matter in a 16x20 -- you are so ready!