Thursday, September 10, 2009

Exercise two from the Alexander Brothers, French Farm finds me loosening up and actually painting without the worry of thinking 'do I have just the right colors'? Instead, I utilized the colors already mixed on my palette and let them flow. You can see the reds and blues in the field in the foreground and that I've utilized the exact palette of the sky with a little green thrown in.

I find this a much more satisfying style of painting and one that allows the paints to do whatever they like, mixing with themselves, spreading to places on the paper without control of the painter. This style of watercolor reflects the true magic of the medium and to some extent makes it more difficult to paint but much more fun.

I hope you see the similarity but a difference in this painting vs The Windmill of Holland below. That painting was much more precise in its placement of color than French Farm. I think I'll lean towards the looser style of painting as I move through my learning process and hopefully enjoy the painting process even more.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have found that when I don't control the color and just let it do its thing magic happens! I think you are sensing that...

Tess said...

I do really like the flow of the pain in the sky and the field. I like the scene in the windmill picture better. Now to combine the two.