Friday, September 11, 2009

This little painting is really a study in how paint flows and how to let it do its thing without much control. Although the painting looks like I've planned it somewhat, and I did sketch it, it's really more of a free form painting. The only part that really required any detail was the ocean area which if you'll notice in the background I've allowed to 'splash' up on the rocks.

My plan is to do lots of little paintings like this to test out different techniques, little studies really. I enjoy just playing around and seeing what will come if it. So...............for the weekend I'll do more of these and work on the larger painting you'll see in a couple of days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

excited to see how that larger painting will look -- can't wait!

Tess said...

Good idea, Andy. It is fun to watch your progress.

Unknown said...

Andy,
That beach scene looks strikingly similar to the shot I sent you of Sandy Beach on Oahu just without me and my boogie board in the foreground. Any chance the photo planted a seed for that beachscape?

Nice painting.
Coop