Sunday, September 13, 2009

I've mentioned in previous postings that I did watercolors several years ago and put it down until recently. Just so you can see the type of paintings I did in 2007 I've included this painting of a photograph I took in Italy. I actually cheated on this one because if you'll notice it has tiny white flowers on the vine on the wall. Since watercolor doesn't come in white I used gauche to put in the flowers. This is a very common technique and although the gauche is technically a watercolor it doesn't have the luminosity of watercolor and is most often used to touch up a small detail.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

marvelous -- so true about gauche -- I use it occassionally -- not the same "sparkle" and leaving paper white is what I have found.
Nice job!

Anonymous said...

Man, Andy, you are coming along with this hobby nicely. I love the building of 9/13, especially the middle row of shutters. They really look three dimensional. Buildings and women have always been my favorite watercolor paintings. The photo must have really been a great one. When my son Joey started to be interested in art, I had him draw Tippy the Turtle 50 times so he could see his improvement. At first he struggled then eventually he was drawing the turtle without looking at the magazine. (You remember draw this cowboy and send it in for review and comment) Anyway your idea of 100 days 100 paintings is a great thing I think. I'll be checking every couple days now. See ya. Bill

Tess said...

I agree with Bill, the middle shutters are very nice, and--in this picture of your picture--I like the gauche. I guess it is a purist thing, but whatever works...