Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I completed this original today another in the series featuring Chester, Nova Scotia Raceweek. As I've noted several times before, I'm working on understanding how to paint water. This painting gets me a little closer to mastering it. Although it looks blotchy in this scan, the original actually reflects a better grasp of how to do water. I'm working on reflections in the water and I'll soon have that mastered too I hope.

This painting is 11" x 16" a size that allowed me to detail the sailboat accurately. You can see that I've placed all the lines correctly and the rigging is also correct. I need help with sketching the people on board and will also tackle that as I move along.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

you have a love for boats - it shows in your paintings

Tess said...

Composition of the painting reminds me of one of my fav artists--Winslow Homer. I know he is oil and you are water, but he knows how to paint water. Perhaps study his techniques????

Unknown said...

Andy,
Wonderful. thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing the original.
Jan

Anonymous said...

I think you'll have to come to Chester next year and show your work. This is just great stuff!

kb

Unknown said...

I totally agree !