Sunday, September 6, 2009

I'm like a lot of painters who just loves doors and windows. Maybe it's my background in architecture or the idea that they provide some kind of opening to another place and time. However you look at them European windows in particular are often colorful and include beautiful flowers and bright colors. I was struck by this photograph of a window with blue shutters. Not only is it a traditional Italian scene but one that offers a different color scheme.

I don't often see the color blue in Italy. Most of the colors tend towards warm yellows, ochres and sienna's, especially in Tuscany. So some with blue shutters caught my eye.

I've painted a number of these scenes in the past and one of the elements I've always had trouble with is painting pots. I guess its my lack of experience with still-life painting where the study of tonal differences is so important. But I've continued to paint them and these are getting better. I'm beginning to understand how to paint curved surfaces and the effect of light on them especially light and shadow. If you notice the pot in the lower right hand corner reflects light and shadow and gives the viewer a better approximation of a pot.

The shadow on the window is also an important element in this painting, notice the depth of view it gives and how it evokes the surrounding buildings. Those are the little things I'm learning as I go along and you'll hopefully notice as I become a much better painter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I love architecture. Reminds me of our time in LA.

Tess said...

I love this one. I love your door and window paintings. This one has good perspective. Yes, I think you are getting better.