Tuesday, September 1, 2009


Here's a painting I'm much happier with than yesterday's. I tried a number of new techniques which helped. Notice that it's a very stylized painting, much like the sport of sailboat racing. After having such a difficult time painting water I simplified the water in this image and instead of trying to put waves I simply left the wake as white space behind each boat.

I used masking fluid to screen out the white space of the sails and give them the crisp outside leach line that sails have. By utilizing masking fluid I was able to go back and place the batten pockets in the correct location on each sail and also show the correct rigging configuration. All the tiny details of a boat as Tony Couch teaches 'have to be in-scale and realistic'.

This painting is almost 4 times the size of the other paintings I've been recently done and the additional size allowed me to be more precise with the details. You'll notice that even the white waterline shows on the green boat to the rear.

All in all, I'm much more pleased with this painting and by 'keeping it simple' was able to pull it off with more realism.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this one, Andy! It gives a real sense of motion and movement. I also love the choice of blue for the water. Well done!

Tess said...

This seems more like a graphic artist concept--not that I know anything. I can see it on the front of another L L Bean catalogue. I particularly like the way the two boats are aligned.

Anonymous said...

Andy - WOW! The boats are showing motion and energy. Your representation of the sails and the techniques you used to capture important details is outstanding. I am particularly impressed with how sharp the rigging detail is.

I am biased - but I would say you should do more sailing paintings!

I of course blogged about it and will send everyone I can your site's way.

http://galeforcesailing.com/watercolor-wonderful/


kb