Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This painting inspired by a friend's recent journey to Alaska was an attempt to paint both water and mountains. Interestingly the mountains covered by a form of water (snow) were much easier to paint than I thought. But again the water on the lower portion of the painting posed greater difficulty.

So, what does a painter do if he's caught doing the same thing over and over and can't seem to bust out of the loop? Find help! So today I had lunch with my friend Christopher Sherry, an accomplished Atlanta artist friend and appealed for help. He's taught painting classes around the metro Atlanta area for a number of years and is recognized as a very talented teacher. So he's agreed to help me develop techniques that will steer me in the right direction. It should be an interesting learning opportunity and I'll certainly appreciate the critique. You'll hopefully see my art improve with his help.

1 comment:

Tess said...

Andy, so glad you have found a mentor. This painting does have its faults, but it is still lovely. A totally different look from the picture sent by Songbird, but still conveys the same sense of nature's majesty.