Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Actually I think this painting came out pretty well considering it was probably the most difficult project I've done so far. I tried twice to get the dimensions on the barn correct and 'finally' I think the length and depth are in the correct ratio.

Whitford's barn is located on Cuba Lake at Cuba, NY. I'll bet you didn't know Cuba was actually in NY did you? What are they famous for? Cuba Cheese which is some of the finest domestic cheese in the country and while there we bought a chunk of 15 year-old aged cheddar. I promise some of the finest you'll ever taste.

This barn is an old one and I don't really know what style you would call it. Mr. Whitford has done an extensive preservation of it and I think its one of the most beautiful barns I've ever photographed. See the photo below of it.

Lots of good things in this painting and lots of not so good. I'll leave it to the viewer this time to tell me what they think and what I should do to improve.

4 comments:

Tess said...

I like it red, white and blue. Very nice. I don't know why it was so difficult--all the little details? Turned out really well.

Unknown said...

nice atmospheric look to the trees -- landscape does not overwhelm the structure...

Unknown said...

Lovely, Andy! I ran into Mrs. Whitford this morning and informed her of her barn's new found fame. I'm emailing her the blog link.
~Erica

Janet Zeh said...

Nice job. I had to smile when you mentioned the struggle to get the barn proportions correct. When it comes to architecture, I will draw it out first on drawing paper to make sure I'm happy with it. Otherwise, I'll mess up the surface of the watercolor paper with corrections. So, I totally sympathize!