Monday, October 5, 2009

Here's a departure for me, a still life. This is officially the first one I've ever done and I enjoyed it. Taken from a photograph on my recent trip it displays a native aster. The wildflowers were in full bloom in western NY during September and were truly a sight to behold. Goldenrod, asters, purple loosestrife, chicory, lots of seeds and native grasses all in full bloom/plume. Quite a riot of color heading into the drab winter months.

I learned a few things with this painting. 1. The background is difficult to decide and paint. Do you simplify it like I did here or do you place all the little nuances of the background into it? 2. How do you paint the flower itself? Single or in multiple blooms. 3. How do you compose the painting? I consciously tried to create balance with this painting by leaving a large unpainted space on the right. 4. How detailed should it be? I've almost painted this in a Japanese style, very simple, not confused.

My next project? An Italian landscape.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's absolutely beautiful, Andy! And to think it's an Allegany County aster :)

Tess said...

I love the "Japanese" interpretation. Your chose correctly; the background was superfluous. Nice balance.