Friday, October 23, 2009

This painting is for those of you who've been out on the open ocean. It is truly one of those experiences that offers insight into how to deal with life. Your entire existence is locked into a small space and every single element in that space must perform or your life is literally on the line. Here we have a crew of three having that experience. I dedicate this painting to a close friend soon to complete a 10 day cruise across the Atlantic.

Since I grew up in a maritime coastal city the sea has became a part of me at an early age. I've spent many a day bobbing on a surfboard staring at the horizon and wondering what was just over it. The horizon allows the brain to decompress, expand beyond the tangible and imagine.
The sailboat, or any boat for that matter, allows you to actually travel across the time/space horizon and explore. After all, isn't that the American spirit?

This painting challenged me in several ways. I wanted the deep blues of the open ocean and I think I've achieved that. But how to show the huge waves that one encounters on the ocean? My next painting challenge!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Andy -- I am sorry to hear about the kidney -- I can't donate but will keep you in positive flow and prayers -- keep painting -- it will help you heal!

Catails said...

this one hits home for me, the pacific princess :) THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!