Thursday, August 27, 2009


My first watercolor in over two years. Taken from a study in a wonderful little book named Keeping a Watercolor Sketchbook by Brenda Swenson. This painting shows a small hilltop town in Italy served by a bridge across a deep ravine. A common site throughout Tuscany.
So, what in the world did I learn from this painting? Several things; first, the trees to the left are undefined and by layering the paints I created a muddy and unrealistic treescape. Notice the trees on the right which are painted much better. Although this is considered an impressionist painting sometimes shape and form need to be addressed correctly to give the painting a sense of scale. The form of the two evergreen trees on the right gives the viewer that sense of scale.
What about the composition of the painting? Obviously since I borrowed the image the original painter spent time composing the painting so that it balances itself visually. By counterbalancing the white bridge with the dark forest on the right the painting has a pleasing balance.
What is the focal point and secondary focal point? The bridge immediately becomes the focal point of the painting but cleaverly points to the secondary focal point being the small town. The mountains behind touch the sky and give the viewer a realistic feeling of landscape.
What would you do better? I would work on those trees to the left and maybe not paint the sky so dark. I would also paint this on a larger sheet. This painting is approximately 5" x 7", much too small to actually give the bridge the attention to detail it deserves. Otherwise, not a bad first start!

3 comments:

Tess said...

Struggling Artist, I love your first attempt in two years! You have a very ambitious agenda. I can't imagine completing 100 paintings in a lifetime, much less one a day. You also are helping me learn to blog. I may write you privately to see how you did a few things. I love your blog and have enrolled as your first follower. This is the first blog I have ever enrolled with, so this is a learning experience all around. Thanks for including me, Tess

Anonymous said...

SA,
Critique if you must, but I think the painting is lovely. So, it is a cloudy day a the bridge as it was here in my corner of the world today. I paint with acrylics,scrubbing on color over color. I could never master the restraint of watercolor. I too have only recently returned to paint after a long absence. Bravo to your first effort.

Tess said...

Anonymous paints! Wonders never cease.