Monday, August 31, 2009


I named this painting for a small town in Italy, San Gimignano, the city of towers. Inspired by a previous painting it was done almost totally in monochrome. There are literally three colors here and spots are 'washed' over several times between drying.

Lets look at the composition of this painting. The spire is the focal point although it could be argued that the tree on the right is the point of focus. Since it's a study of a small town, I would say the spire because it pierces the space of the sky so sharply and balances the strong statement made by the tree.

Again, shadows make the painting, especially the shadow of the tree on the front of the basilica wall. Notice how the shrub mass on the right interrupts the base of the church and directs the eye to the town. Just like the tree which literally points at the spire.

The original artist cleverly composed this painting and I was pleased to be able to render my version with little changes here and there to add drama.

2 comments:

Janet Zeh said...

You are doing fine! But please don't stop at 100. It wasn't until I reached about 1000 watercolor paintings that it REALLY started to get good!

I remember someone telling me this when I first began and I thought it was way too many, but it's true. Aiming high will free you up to make plenty of mistakes when painting your own compostions, and that will make you better. Just keep painting... And thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

Tess said...

Lovely as ever. I find my focal point to be the church (building). The spire, tree and wall frame it and draw the eye right to it.