Sunday, February 10, 2013

Bad Dog Dock

Cumberland Island has a magical hold on me. After many years of visiting Cumberland Island at the Grange I've come to appreciate so much of the subtlety of the place. This painting of the Grange dock, lovingly referred to as the Bad Dog Dock, has been my place for reading, relaxation, and watching the weather, the fiddler crabs, the tide, alligators, beaching porpoises, seaplanes, nuclear submarines, mega yachts and horses grazing in the marsh. I've watched the marsh change colors over the seasons, and a horse die after becoming bogged in the marsh mud. I've seen raccoons, sharks, catfish, jellyfish, trout, stingrays, Pink Ibises, Great Blue Herons, Wood Storks, buzzards, white herons, green herons, possums, all with a cold beverage in my hand and friends gathered for the show. This painting is an ode to emptiness. The emptiness of the dock, never to see it's loving and many friends again.

No comments: